Are you acting as caterer at your next party or family gathering? Are you looking for ways to add a little bit of style to your next BBQ or Thanksgiving meal? Keep these food presentation tips in mind to make your next home cooked meal look like it belongs among the pros!
1. Remember that the presentation is just as important as the meal itself. A good meal will appeal to 4 senses. Not only will it taste good, but it will look good, smell good, and have a good texture to it.
2. Keep your plating as simple as possible. Arrange food on the plate so that it’s pleasing to the eye, which will make it more appetizing as well. Precise placement of food on the plate makes it look like a professional plated dinner, instead of scooped cafeteria style food.
3. Maintain temperatures! Be sure to keep hot food hot and cold food cold.
4. Balance is key. While protein is usually the main focus of a meal, make sure your sides come in balanced portions and are proportionate to the main course. You should also strive for balance in the texture, shape and color of your foods.
5. Don’t forget the importance of color. A plate of different colored foods is always more visually interesting and appealing than a plate of one color (i.e. a plate of white meat, white beans, and cauliflower).
6. Consider the size of your plates. Plates that are too small will make your plating look crowded and busy. Large plates will make the meal look skimpy. Again, balance is key.
7. Be creative! Think scalloped lemons, forms and molds to add a unique shape, sprinkling on some bright orange zest for color, or creating alternative bowls from hollowed out fruit and vegetables! There a million ways to make your food unique and memorable for your guests. We have some of these ideas on our Pinterest page.
Melanie Hill, Owner/Executive Event Planner